Preparing International Teaching Assistants Program
- About the Program
- How to Register
- Student Testimonials
- PITAP Courses
- English as a Second Language (ESL) Resources at UNC
- Community ESL Resources
- Contact Us
The Preparing International Teaching Assistants Program (PITAP) is for international graduate students who are or plan to be teaching assistants. Students learn key skills for the undergraduate classroom.
The program helps students:
- Develop teaching skills
- Build cross-cultural communication skills
- Improve spoken English
The program includes:
- Two, 2-credit classes (GRAD 810 and GRAD 811). Register through ConnectCarolina. The Office of the University Registrar may be of additional assistance.
- One-on-one assistance
- Small group sessions
- Conversation partners with native English-speaking undergraduates
If you are or plan to be an international teaching assistant (ITA), we strongly encourage you to register for PITAP courses.
Here’s what former students have said about the PITAP courses:
“Thank you so much. These courses were the most precious and helpful ones that I’ve ever taken.”
“Learning how to interact with undergraduate students was the most beneficial aspect of the course.”
“Extremely helpful for both my teaching and communication skills. Also extremely enjoyable—I felt among friends.”
English as a Second Language (ESL) Resources at UNC
The Writing Center at UNC offers free ESL support for all non-native English speakers.
- Instruction, including workshops, writing groups, self-instruction, and mini-courses
- Online tools on grammar, listening and speaking, vocabulary, and writing
- Campus resources
- Community resources
- “Help for Hire” private tutors
The Writing Center is located at 0127 SASB-North.
Telephone: (919) 962-0725
- Services and Programs: Programs to connect ESL students to advising, English language opportunities, and tutors.
- International Women’s English Conversation Group
Community ESL Resources
Private classes are available in:
- Beginning, intermediate, and advanced ESL
- Idiomatic English
- Accent reduction
- TOEFL preparation
- Business writing
- Academic writing
Offers courses for ESL: Beyond Basics ESL Continuing Education classes. For more information, contact (919) 536-7264 ext 3228.
For more information about PITAP, please contact:
Brian Rybarczyk, PITAP Director
Phone: (919) 962-2505