Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching and Learning (CIRTL)
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill is a member of Center for the Integration of Research, Teaching, and Learning (CIRTL), a network of research universities committed to preparing outstanding future faculty with the ultimate goal of improving undergraduate education across all disciplines. At UNC-Chapel Hill, this is inclusive of the arts, humanities, social sciences, education, STEM, etc. Our membership in this network enables graduate students and postdocs to take advantage of career development courses and workshops, offered locally and online, by other network member institutions, build their teaching portfolio and gain a competitive edge for the academic job market through evidence-based teaching approaches and engagement with teaching-related learning communities.
CIRTL Core Values:
Teaching Through Diversity
- Capitalize on experiences, backgrounds, and skills to promote equal success for all learners.
- Bring participants together for collaborative discovery and learning to achieve specific goals.
Teaching as Research (TAR)
- Deliberate, systematic, and reflective use of research methods to develop and implement effective teaching and learning practices.
Benefits to Participants:
- Enhance academic, communication, and research skills
- Engage in training and mentoring to become effective educators
- Gain competitive advantage in career searches
- Earn nationally recognized credentials
- Expand leadership skills and build relationships with peers and future colleagues
- Acknowledgement of levels of accomplishment on transcript (graduate students)
- Digital badges issued through Credly
- Register as a participant for CIRTL@UNC-Chapel Hill
- Sign-up and create a CIRTL Network Account
- Participate in CIRTL related offerings locally and through national cross-network events
- Record participation in CIRTL@UNC-Chapel Hill Sakai site for levels of accomplishment (access granted after registration above).
Levels of Accomplishment/Learning Outcomes
|Complete the following 4 requirements|
|Evidence of Completion to Obtain Associate Level|
|Complete the following 6 requirements:|
|Evidence of Completion to Obtain Practitioner Level|
|Complete the following requirements|
Graduate students and postdoctoral scholars affiliated with other teaching-related UNC Chapel Hill programs can also fulfill many of these requirements concurrently. Please see links below for equivalencies:
Certificate in College Science Teaching (CCST)
Preparing International Teaching Assistants Program (PITAP)
Seeding Postdoctoral Innovators in Research and Education (SPIRE)