The Graduate Certificate in Innovation, Leadership, & Management
Any UNC-Chapel Hill graduate student is eligible to earn the Graduate Certificate in Innovation, Leadership, & Management (GCILM).
Please note: Effective immediately, The Graduate Certificate in Innovation, Leadership, & Management replaces the Graduate Certificate in Business Fundamentals (GCBF). However, Carolina graduate students admitted to pursue the GCBF before December 2020 may continue completion of GCBF requirements and earn the certificate upon completion. OR, previously admitted students may contact Dr. Jason Cramer (email@example.com) if they instead intend to pursue the new certificate.
Any other graduate student interested in pursuing the new certificate should contact Dr. Cramer to notify him of their intent.
Please also note that Carolina graduate students can enroll in certificate courses without applying to the certificate.
Certificate Features & Requirements
Based on feedback from numerous stakeholders, including Carolina graduate students, employers, and members of the recently formed CareerWell Advisory Committee, we proudly offer this new certificate, which emphasizes innovation and commercialization as well as workplace leadership and management principles.
- Skill development in areas highly valued by companies, nonprofits, and government units
- Opportunities to complete work experiences relevant to the needs of employers through team internships
- Foundations Level – This option requires only 9 credit hours of work (see requirements below) and the courses may be completed in any order
- Advanced Level – This option requires 13 credits (see requirements below; courses may be completed in any order) but offers additional professional development and an advanced experience: a real-world interdisciplinary team internship designed jointly with a CareerWell partner to emphasize application of the innovation, leadership, and management skills developed through the Foundations Level courses
- Your graduate school transcript will note you have completed the Graduate Certificate in Innovation, Leadership, & Management.
To complete this level, students must successfully complete the following:
- GRAD 710 – Professional Communication: Writing (1.5 credits)
- GRAD 711 – Professional Communication: Presenting (1.5 credits)
- GRAD 712 – Leadership for the Workplace (1.5 credits)
- GRAD 713 – Applied Project Management (1.5 credits)
- GRAD 714 – Introduction to Financial Accounting (1.5 credits)
- GRAD 755 – Technology Commercialization (1.5 credits)
After completing the Foundations Level requirements, students must successfully complete the following courses to earn this designation:
- GRAD 726 – Business Fundamentals – Selected Topics (1.0 credit)
- GRAD 727 – Team Collaboration (1.5 credits)
- GRAD 770 – Introduction to Digital Transformation